Sunday, May 8, 2011

Back into the swing of passion.

I constantly find myself wanting to write, write like there's no tomorrow.
The way I used to write, actually.

I used to write every day.  I loved it.  It was an obsession, a passion.
I wrote poems, stories, thoughts, ideas, blogs, and just random things... Now, I barely touch a pen, open a blank word document, or have any creative flow in me.

I wonder why, and it upsets me to no end.  I used to be so passionate about writing.  What happened?
Every day I think back to when it was so important to me.
Why did it suddenly die out?
Has it?
I guess I'll never truly know.

So yes, I'm writing about me wanting to write.
It seems kind of silly if you think about it, but every little bit of documenting to get me back on track to my old ways helps.

You see, I started this blog to get back on track.
To become the Tatlyn I used to be.
The one who had so much creativity in her
I miss that Tatlyn.

I find myself thinking every day, "What should I blog about?  I need to get a move on".
So... Why not blog about how much writing had meant to me, and how I really need to try my hardest to get it back to that important point.

So, maybe this blog will be very dull to some of you, but to those of you who know how much I used to write, and how much it meant to me before, you will understand and not mind this.  I thank you.

My writing obsession began at a young age and only developed further over time.  It hit its peak at fifth grade, when I met my first teacher at MaST.  Ms. Wallitch (I was never able to spell her name, and I never will be able to, which is unfortunate because she was such an inspiration to me. I only wish I could do her that much justice.)

Ms. W believed in me.  She assigned weekly writing projects.  I was always eager to do them.  One of the projects will forever stick out to me because it was what brought me to the point where I knew exactly what I wanted to accomplish when I got older.  To at least write one solid novel.  The task was to write about something very important to us.  Something that represented us perfectly.  Something we valued. Almost all the students wrote about objects.  Games, CD’s, their ID cards for school and such.  I chose to step out of the box.  I wrote about my eyes. I wrote on and on about how they were incredibly dear to me, because it was the one trait my mother had passed onto me and how I was her only child with her eyes.  I remember my parents going up to discuss my progress report, it was a mandatory thing for all the students.  Ms. W spoke to them about all my subjects, about how well I was doing, about how lively and bubbly I was in class, and then... she pulled out the essay.  My mother and my father had not known about this project, so this was new to them.  She read it aloud to them, in an extremely proud and almost emotionally touched voice.  She told my mom that she was completely taken aback after reading my essay.  That my words had moved her.  That I wrote beautifully.  That I had been the only child in her class to write about something like this.  She gushed on and on to my parents about how talented I was, and how she knew one day I would change the world with my words.  My parents were completely taken aback with her enthusiasm and almost in awe.  It was Ms. W who encouraged me to continue writing, and she pushed me to get better grades, making me into an honor student.  By the end of the year, I had straight A's and was on a day-to-day writing kick.  She signed my year book stating "To my creative writer and author in the making" with a heartfelt message about how my words were inspiring and to never stop writing.

From that year on, I wrote my heart out.
It breaks my heart that I have just recently started writing again, after almost a year hiatus from the pastime.
I only hope I can continue to try and get back to that kick.
My mother and father look at me as if I can write just about anything and it will be a work of art.
My father keeps EVERY little thing I scratch down on paper, even after I throw it away; he comes back and shows it to me later.
He believes one day I will be someone, and one day the world will see me the way he, my mother, and my 5th grade teacher do.
I would hate to let them down.
Even worse, I'd hate to let me down.

SO yes, this is a random blog, but it's an important one to me, about my emotional pull towards writing.
Yes, I may not be the greatest writer out there, but whatever I write I put as much heart in it as I can muster, and I want to be the best and I want to get back to my old ways.

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes the best thing to do is to just write whatever comes to mind. Doesn't matter what it is, just go with it. Train of thought writing, it helps unblock things.

    <3
    - Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! Hence why I jotted this down and posted it :)
    Thanks dear! I knew you'd understand <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel ya. i was looking back on my writing too and i just stopped as well. i believe life just gets in the way. thats why i was trying to write a least once a month about things i was learning and my thoughts about it. i know you'll get back into write and myself as well when you have a passion for something it doesn't die out. And i believe you'll be a well know writer as well, it just takes time nothing happens overnight, at least thats what i keep telling myself :]

    ReplyDelete